Saturday, August 08, 2009

Blood, baby, blood!

In the past several months, I have become a lot more active. It started by buying a bicycle and riding that. Then, to be better at riding, I started going to a gym to take cycling classes and that has helped tremendously. Still, I find that I get winded very easily. Yes, I am out of shape, but I think it goes deeper than that.

It could be explained right away, 'oh, you're just out of shape, that is why you get winded easily. You will be able to go longer and faster if you keep it at.' While this isn't untrue, I do not think that it is entirely accurate. For several years, I was quite sedentary which helped lead to the downfall of an important relationship in my life with my partner at the time. She was much more active than I and for reasons unexplainable to me, even now, I didn't really take part for some reason. I moved back to San Diego, and over the past month or so, I have been exercising much more strenuously.

I find that while I am fairly thin overall, my cardiovascular health is quite poor. I do get winded quite easily, and I wonder if the answer is more complicated than just being out of shape. Meaning, the heart is a muscle, and I did not exercise it for several years. Like anything, such as a foot or arm, or something like that, if you don't exercise it, it will atrophy. I think this is what happened to my heart, but maybe it is all related and I am looking too far into it. Maybe being out of shape, is because I was sedentary and let my heart languish. Whatever the answer is, it is interesting how far I realize I must go to improve my lung capacity. It is a work in progress, but slow but sure, hopefully I can make some headway and help my heart work harder and faster and for longer...longer when I am exercising, and hopefully longer for my life too.

1 comment:

Grace T said...

Great post, Jacko. I went running for the first time in a month today and it was inspiring to read your post. Please keep posting on this--if you feel like it--and I'll keep checking in. I think the tone of this posting is very different from your other ones and I appreciate your candor and your courage in talking about personal things.